Wednesday, November 15, 2023

An Autumn Weekend -- Football and Music


The transition between two of my greatest pleasures was delightful.

On Saturday, we attended a live sporting event for the first time since well before the first wave of COVID, courtesy of the Connecticut High School Coaches Association and its well-managed relationship with the UConn Athletic Department.

The CHSCA, dealt a crippling blow in September with the sudden passing of director Joe Canzanella, moved forward with its annual induction ceremony slated for pregame and halftime of the football game between the Huskies and Utah State. The rain abated just in time and despite cloudy skies, the event went off like clockwork.

On Sunday, with the sun shining brilliantly, we shifted back to our music scene by attending an outdoor concert at a quaint family farm in East Haddam. While Shakedown Street provided its consistently seamless tribute to the Grateful Dead, children and adults danced, wandered the garden and visited the domestic animals on hand.

PLAYING “THE RENT”

The last time I attended a UConn football game at Rentschler Field in East Hartford was September 12, 2009. I remember it well because on that day, I was inducted into the CHSCA Hall of Fame, which has its home on the Rentschler concourse.

Later that year, I was honored along with my induction class at the CHSCA’s annual banquet at the Aqua Turf in Southington. My dearest friends came from around the country to be with me for what truly was my finest hour. To have my likeness on a plaque at Rentschler and to have a gorgeous ring commemorating the moment mean more to me than anything else I’ve accomplished professionally.

Memories of that day 14 years earlier came back to me as we entered tent for pregame festivities. Since I retired from the Meriden Record-Journal in early 2018, I hadn’t seen many of the people who made my 28 years on the state sports beat so enjoyable.

That grand New Britain gang from those days immediately pierced through the meteorological gloom.

Michelle Abraham remains the volleyball coach at New Britain High after all these years.

When I started at the New Britain Herald in 1992, her teams were suffering. The Golden Hurricanes lost nearly every match they played that year, saved only by winning matches against tiny Class S school Housatonic Regional.

Seven years later at East Haven High School, Michelle guided an incredibly skilled, deep and focused young women to a Class L state championship, despite being down 2 games to 0 against the likes of powerhouse Cheshire.  I wept as I watched one of the more remarkable comebacks I’ve ever witnessed.

Michelle is the epitome of what makes the CHSCA as essential as it is festive. The records of those teams were not of the utmost importance to her. Of course, she wanted to win as much as any coach who ever commanded a sideline huddle, but she was driven by her commitment to her student-athletes, on and off the court.

Her mission has not diminished. Neither has her passion for fulfilling it. She also has so much love for many of those she met along the way, and I’m delighted to be counted in that number, all these years later. She graciously referred me to Executive Director Canzanella to do some writing for CHSCA. I was delighted. My computer keyboard has been rather silent since leaving Meriden, yet I knew I could step right in and hit the ground running for any organization that needs my services.

Four days after we discussed the possibilities, Joe Canzonella, 71, was dead of a fatal heart attack. Canzonella and retired New Britain High athletic director and football coach Len Corto were truly like twin sons of different mothers. The burden was on Len, Michelle and others to pick up the pieces of an organization nurtured for 31 years by the late Southington High baseball coach John Fontana until his death in October 2019.

Lenny addressed 25 or so on hand for the informal pregame brunch. He introduced David Benedict, UConn athletic director, who made a short but poignant impromptu speech that had most heads nodding affirmatively. The relationship between UConn athletics and the CHSCA is surely strong. A visit from venerable UConn legacy and New Britain native Andy Baylock, the Huskies’ former baseball coach who still throws batting practice in his mid-80s, represented a powerful link in the chain between the organizations.

When Lenny’s thoughts turned to Joe, he wore his emotions on his sleeve, as both he and Joe were prone to do. His voice cracked. He fought back the tears. The two had forged a powerful bond, enabling CHSCA to maintain its integrity across the scoop of high school athletics in Connecticut. He reinforced that CHSCA was going to continue its mission the way Joe and John would have wanted.

Lisa and I had an enjoyable day. We didn’t even mind paying $27 for two Chick-fil-A sandwiches and a $6 bottle of water. The weather improved, but unfortunately UConn faltered, losing 34-33 when a potential game-tying extra-point placement was blocked. We all felt for the UConn kids and Coach Joe Mora, but that’s the nature of competitive athletics.

No comments: