Friday, December 7, 2007

NBHS MADRIGAL PERFORMANCE EXCEPTIONAL

As I grow older and, I hope, smarter, I find the urge to wander from the world of sports for relaxation and entertainment more and more.

So on Friday night, my wife and I decided to take in a performance by the New Britain High School madrigal singers at a church hall on the city's west side.

Please bear with me because I may not get the wording perfect but here it goes.

Those who administer the high school's sensational music programs arranged a sumptuous dinner that was integrated into an enjoyable musical and dramatic performance that took a lot of work to arrange. With members of the high school band playing in the background, the madrigal singers performed a holiday-oriented skit punctuated by Christmas carols and medieval music.

Now most of New Britain knows that I have been publicizing the names of the high school's great athletes in The Herald for about 13 years. I have watched them grow from boys and girls into productive men and women.

But Friday's event displayed that there are far more great things going on at NBHS in addition to Paul Morrell's hard-working football team, the incredible basketball programs built by Beryl Piper and Stan Glowiak, Michelle Abraham's successful volleyball program, etc.

I don't know the names of the music program's movers and shakers. I don't know the names of the brilliant youngsters who dedicate themselves to the arts, but I just had to relate the wonderful work they're doing.

The church hall was adorned with a medieval backdrop and a holiday touch. The musicians and singers dressed in medieval garb. The sellout crowd was fixated on their marvelous efforts. The catering was exquisite. The waitresses were dressed in peasant garb.

For three hours, we were swept away to a world that left the problems of modern life outside. The harmonies and the acting were magnificent and if anybody went home hungry, it was their own fault.

We see high school kids on the police blotter. The bad news that all too often comes out of NBHS and high schools everywhere is well-documented. Administrators draw criticism when test scores are low. But trust me when I say that there are great things happening on Mill Street, and they're not always touchdowns, 3-point field goals and home runs.

I'm constantly urging sports fans to get out and support the high school athletes. There many more programs at the school that deserve support, too.

1 comment:

epz said...

Thank you for your kind words.
We are very pround of the work in fine arts by our faculty and students in New Britain Schools. Our Madrigal Feaste is one of the treasures of the holiday season in New Britain.

Elaine Zottola
Coordinator of Fine Arts/Gifted and Talented
New Britain Schools